History of the Museum

 The museum in the Automobile Palace building was officially opened on 21st March 1997 by Mr Tom Norton 

It housed the private cycle collections of Mr Norton and Mr David Higman, curator from 1997-2010 .  The Norton collection was returned to the family on request in 2014

In  1998, cycles from  the National Cycle Museum, Lincoln joined the display after that museum closed . The museum at Llandrindod Wells then took over the charitable status of the National Cycle Museum Trust that had run the museum at Lincoln 

The Automobile Palace, a very ornate grade 2 listed Art Deco building was built for Mr Tom Norton senior  in 2 stages , the first part in 1911, 

It was originally known as The Palace of Sport 

kangaroo 1884

kangaroo 1884

Raleigh chopper

raleigh chopper

Sturmey Archer Poster

The Blooming Bike

Created for the "Britain in Bloom" celebrations, this cycle features knitted tyres, chain covers, saddle and a full flower basket at the front complete with flowerpots in the carrier!